what are magnetic beads made up??

Duc Duong duong at chestnut.chem.upenn.edu
Mon Feb 8 08:18:18 EST 1993

hi..

I just read an article in Science (Nov, 13, 1992). It talked about the
direct Mechanical Measurements of the elasticity of Single DNA
molecules by using magnetic beads. I am wondering that what are the
chemical functional groups in magnetice beads? what are the components
in magnetice beads?
 Also, one end of that single DNA attached to a glass surface. So how
one can make a chemical functional group on that glass surface? (same
thing as for magnetice beads). I looked up a couple papers but I got
no specifice responses.
If any one know the answer, please E-mail to me. I'll summarize and
post on the net later if there are enough interest. Thank you.

duc