clinical genetics of psychiatry

YMMCS023 at TWNMOE10.Edu.TW YMMCS023 at TWNMOE10.Edu.TW
Thu Feb 3 14:33:18 EST 1994

I am a clinical psychiatrist and interested in the genetics of psychiatric diso
rders such as schizophrenia, bipolar disorder and Alzheimer's disease. I would
like to initiate a collaborative study with a lab working on molecular genetics
. I don't know what should I do first clinically and how could I persuade a lab
 reaearcher that I have interesting samples and deserve further study?

In my country, the field of psychiatric genetics is still doubted by most psych
iatrists, but most of them also addmit psychiatric patients with family history
are frequently seen. How could I initiate a small projet to verify that schizop
hrenia, bipolar disorder or Alzheimer's disease is somewhat a genetic disease i
n this small country. (Although I know this issue has been repeadly studied wor
ldwide) I realy hope someone would give me a guide to initiate this kind of pro
gram, just a small initiation. Otherwise, we will keep blind and fearful to thi
s area. For this weak point, most psychiatrists here are ambivalant embarassed
in faceing questions relating to the genetics of psychiatric disorders.
Any information will be greatly appreciated.

CHEN-JEE HORNG, M.D.
DEPARTMENT OF PSYCHIATRY
VETERANS GENERAL HOSPITAL-TAIPEI
TAIPEI, TAIWAN, R.O.C.