Postdoc: Plant Population Genetics & QTL

Thomas Mitchell-Olds tmo at POPGEN.BIOLOGY.UMT.EDU
Wed Jul 20 10:01:31 EST 1994

	Postdoc to study molecular evolutionary genetics of
Arabidopsis thaliana and its wild relative, Arabis fecunda.
We are studying population differentiation and DNA sequence
evolution at loci controlling initiation of flowering.
Regulatory genes controlling flowering have pleiotropic
effects on life histories and important components of
fitness (e.g., fecundity and age of first reproduction).  We
are studying DNA sequence polymorphisms and mapping
quantitative trait loci to infer evolutionary factors
causing population differentiation and its ecological
consequences.

	This research is part of a long term analysis of
ecological genetics in natural plant populations.  We have
five years of field data on life histories, demography and
natural selection in five wild populations.  This
postdoctoral position will examine DNA sequence variation at
loci that are responsible for life history variation.
Applicants should be experienced with methods of molecular
biology and concepts of evolutionary genetics.

	The University of Montana has an active group in
evolutionary genetics and population biology.  Laboratory
facilities include a fully equipped lab for plant molecular
evolution, and a departmental facility for automated DNA
sequencing and related procedures.  A new controlled
environment facility is available for plant growth.
Computing and network resources are excellent.  Missoula is
a town of about 50,000 in the mountains of western Montana.
Quality of living is high, with year-round recreational
opportunities and a modest cost of living.

Application deadline: 1 September 1994, or until a suitable
candidate is found.

For further information contact:

Thomas Mitchell-Olds
Division of Biological Sciences