cloning ghost (null) RAPD alleles

Howard S. Judelson judelson at UCRAC1.UCR.EDU
Mon Apr 24 19:57:53 EST 1995

Brad Didion asked:
In using RAPDs for detecting bands assoc. with trait loci, we've come up
with a scenario in which the gel band is negatively assoc with the trait
of interest. In other words, when the band is missing (ghost) the animal
is genotyped as positive because the trait of interest is assoc with the
ghost band.  So, how can we identify the ghost band.  Cloning/seq the
negative band allowed PCR but this generated the neg band size in all
animals...even those previously genotyped as positive (ghost band). My
hope is that you're not confused as you ponder how to identify the
positive allele. any help is appreciated. Brad.

Howard Judelson
Assistant Professor
Department of Plant Pathology
Riverside, California 92521
USA
909-787-4199 (voice); 909-787-4294 (fax)