marker number??

Mon Jul 3 13:51:55 EST 1995

tjackson at (Timothy R Jackson) wrote:
> what is an easy way to estimate the number of markers needed to map a
> genome at a given interval.  i'm just looking for something quick and
> dirty.  also, my advisor says that, theoretically, one chromosome arm
> should equal 1 Morgan.  is this valid?  there are published linkage
> groups out there that are over 100 cM!  that's 10 Morgans!  thanx in advance.
> tim

If you're interested in determining marker number for
experimental animals with a simple backcross or intercross
breeding system, take a look at chapter 9 in my book
called "Mouse Genetics: Concepts and Applications"
published this year by Oxford University Press (800-451-7556).

Good luck.

Lee Silver