unusual inheritance of disease susceptibility

Grant Morahan morahan at wehi.edu.au
Sat Jun 17 00:01:58 EST 1995

We have been analysing genetic susceptibility to an experimentally-induced
disease in mice.  The results are surprising.
Inbred strain A -100% susceptible;
inbred strain B -100% resistant.
(AxB)F1  - 50% are susceptible.
F2 -  25% are susceptible. So far, so good.

But 50% of the ((AxB)xA)BC1 mice develop disease.
(We don't have results for the reciprocal BC yet).

The problem is that the BC doesn't seem more susceptible than the F1.
Can anyone suggest a genetic model to explain these results? We haven't
been able to come up with one.
Any suggestions would be welcome.

Grant Morahan, Ph.D.
The Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research
Parkville, Victoria