Function of non-coding sequences/ secondary structure

Michael Freitag freitag at MOREL.UOREGON.EDU
Wed Mar 6 19:50:43 EST 1996

Hi there,

I am interested in estimating the likelihood of particular short
sequences of DNA folding into unusual secondary structures such as
cruciforms, hairpins etc.
The sequences in question are 200 to 400 bp long and some of them code
for 5S RNA (therefore they have inherently a propensity to form unimolecular
secondary structures in solution).

I wonder whether anybody can point me in the direction of software that
would allow input of dsDNA sequence and estimation of free energy of
folding.

I looked in the literature, but most studies pertain to very short
sequences in vitro.

Thanks so much,
Michael Freitag
Univ. of Oregon