Usage of VITESSE

Dave Curtis dcurtis at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
Wed Nov 19 18:43:58 EST 1997

> poorly commented) Pascal... I would say that there is not any compelling
> reason to prefer fastlink or vitesse over linkage or liped when
> computational time is not a big issue - which it normally is not unless

I think Joe has a good point. In many circumstances the newer programs
don't have compelling advantages. Sometimes one almost feels like using
linkage just to avoid the bother of needing to cite three different
papers. Many users of these programs could fairly be described as naive.
They may run their linkage analyses on PC's, and want to use the DOS
executables they were supplied with and taught on. It's nearly
impossible to overestimate the importance of accessibility,
user-friendliness and habit in deciding people's choice of software, and
in this context the differences between linkage/fastlink/vitesse may not
really be that important, for many problems.

There is massive scope for making this software easier to use - for
example I have my own personal stuff for producing automated analyses,
admixture lod scores, graphs and so on, but I doubt many other people
use it. The standard packages don't even give you multipoint lod scores
in a useful format (try running lrp on linkmap output, and explaining it
to somebody!).

Dave Curtis                     Tel   : +44-171-377-7729
Dept Adult Psychiatry           Fax   : +44-171-377-7316
3rd Floor Outpatient Building   Email : dcurtis at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
Royal London Hospital           WWW   :
http://www.gene.ucl.ac.uk/~dcurtis/