basic stats question

Robyn Wallace rwallace at medicine.adelaide.edu.au
Mon Dec 20 00:22:26 EST 1999

I know this is not quite the right news group but I know some of you must
have a good background in statistics.

I am looking for a simple statistical program for the following problem.

Assuming a person normally has 1 in 500 abnormal cells -

How many cells need to be counted to reach 95% confidence?

Assuming an affected person has 1 in 50 abnormal cells -

How many cells need to be counted to reach 95% confidence?

Any help is appreciated

Robyn Wallace  PhD
Department of Cytogenetics and Molecular Genetics
Women's and Children's Hospital
72 King William Road
NORTH  ADELAIDE  SA  5006
AUSTRALIA
Ph: 618 8204 6442     Fax:  618 8204 7342
Email: rwallace at medicine.adelaide.edu.au