Your cancer cure!

Peter pxpst2 at vms.cis.pitt.edu
Mon Jun 14 10:11:39 EST 1999

In article <FD9060.CML at world.std.com>, sphinx at world.std.com (SPHINX
Technologies) wrote:

> In article <18650-3762C6C5-319 at newsd-611.iap.bryant.webtv.net>,
> Nancy Luft <NancyLuft at webtv.net> wrote:
> >normal healthy cells [and] tumor cells are undifferentiated cells.
> >Embryonic cells in an embyro are also undifferentiated cells. Normal
> >healthy cells are adult cells or differentiated cells.

Normal cells may or may not be differentiated.  Those words have little to
do with each other.  For example, the bone marrow houses fully
differeintiated cells (ie osteoclasts, octeoblasts osteocytes and others)
it also houses blood precussor cells which are at various levels of
differentiation.  Embryonic cells are generally considered to be
undifferentiated when the embryo is still in the "early blast stages" but
once the somites appear they are now beginning to differentiate into
endoderm, ectoderm and mesoderm.  And depending on the location of the
cells, induction to diferentiate starts to happen by intaeraction of
Mesoderm with endo/ectoderm or any combination of layers.
This is a crude explination,BTW.

> >What is the difference between the two types?  Undifferentiated cells in
> >neoplasms and embryos both lack the organelles of mature, healthy cells.
> >Organelles are tiny structures of cells that allow a cell to carry on
> >the functions of adult, mature, differentiated cells.  Undifferentiated
> >cells are immature cells that can not carry on the functions of mature
> >cells.

All organelles exsit within all cell types but there ratio to total cell
volume may change over time depending on the differentiaion state of the
cell.  For example, a resting B-cell will apppear small and condensed.  It
still has all the organelles but since they are not needed they "appear
without under a light microscope but can be seen with the electron
microscope.  Once the B-cell is stimulated, it enlarges greatly and
everything can be seen under a light microscope.  Once again this is a
gross oversimplification.

> Presumably you mean that undifferentiated cells lack SOME of the organelles
> of adult differentiated cells.  I would think that all cells would have
> ribosomes, which are the organelles responsible for manufacturing proteins.
> Or, as I have learned recently, more precisely, for translating the codes
> for proteins in DNA (after its transcription into RNA) into the corresponding
> protein.  The basic protein molecule is then, more often than not, "edited"
> into a slightly different final form by subsequent chemical reactions.
> (This can include splitting a protein into two or more sub-chains, so
> "slightly" isn't always strictly accurate.)

Here you are correct.  All the organelles are there but enzymes required
to do some of the post translational modifications may not be present in
the imature cell.  For example, a hepatoblast(hepatocyte precurssor and I
am using this term lightly) does not express the enzyme responsible for
gamma carboxylation of coagulation enzymes. Therfore even though some
coagulation factor X is expressed at very low levels it is not gamma
carboxylated.  What is actually going on at this level is modulation of
transcription factors.  Whether or not a protein is expressed is dependant
on the existance of the proper transcription factors which will drive its
promoter.  Currently, scientist are striving to understand more about
transcription factors but we have a long long long way to go.

> >Cone Cancer Treatment, from what I gather not knowing much abut it, is
> >very similar to what the Gerson Institute uses, in some basic ways.
>
> This certainly seems to be correct, from my reading of descriptions of
> the two methods.
>
> >They both increase metabolism with the use of thyroid hormone, but I do
> >not think it is the increaed metablism per se that actually  cures their
> >patients.

This is one way to treat cancer but will not work on all tpes of cancer
rather just a small subset of cancers.  TH is T3 which is a ligand to a
transciption factorcalled the thyroid hormone recepror.  Once T3 binds to
its receptor the complex then binds to a promoter element and cranks up
the production of various genes that have the proper regulatory sequence
in its promoter.  Since T3 is distributed by the blood it will act
systemically.  If this is inappropriate for the cell due to altered
metabolism or something else, then the cell will realize that something is
wrong and will trigger a suicide program and lead to cell death by
apoptosis.

I think it is important at this point to define what makes a cell
cancerous.  A cancer cell is a cell who has mutated genomic DNA.  In order
for the cancer to destroy the organism, it must learn many new tricks.  It
must learn how to live move, it must learn how to eat through basement
membranes, it must learn how to induce vasculatature, it must learn how to
move into the vasculature, it must learn how to survive in the blood, it
must learn how to get out of the vasculature and finally it must learn how
to live and grow in another site.  All in all many genes need to be hit
genetically as to allow their in appropriate expression.  I hope you are
realizing that cancer is a difficult thing to completly understand and it
is a very complex process.  I do not believe that any one " magic bullet"
exists to cure all cancers.  Most advanced cancers have very screwed up
DNA.  If you looked at the chromasomes, you would see many breaks and
repairs and chromasome pieces may be located in inapropriate locations.
This is all very cursory explination, if you want more info, I would be
happy to direct to it.

> Several people who have tried to apply Warburg's theory seem to think that
> it is the competition for glucose that deprives the cancer cells of their
> source of fuel.  However, they may not be understanding all aspects of
> the process.

This is putting it mildly.

> >The Pac Man Action of immune cells is their ability to eat up and
> >destroy the bad guys, microbes, cancers, etc., it is called their
> >phagocytic action that takes place inside of phagocytic immune cells.
> >It is caused by a chemical reaction inside of tiny organelles or tiny
> >sacs inside of those phagocytic immune cells called phagosomes.  That
> >chemical reaction in those tiny phagosomes is called the Klebanoff
> >Syndrome or The hydrogen peroxide + myeloperoxidase + halide   system.
> >The halide is an iodine anion in the equation.  So the late Dr. Max
> >Gerson fed his patients iodine to help their immune systems to work.

Immune cells are quite specific on what is a target.  Immune cells do not
just go out and kill.  And the phagocytic machinery/cells are different
then the cells that kill.  The cells that kill are either cytotoxic T
cells or NK cells.  In the case of T cell, there is a specific receptor
that identifies abnormal proteins and upon recognition, it starts to
perforate the cell and kill it.  Then the Phagocytic cells come along and
clean up the debris.  For NK cells it is not known how the target is
identified but it is specific and does pierce the membrane.  Current
strategies that want to use the immune system invlove the removing of T
cells from the patient and stimulating them in the precense of cancer
cells till one can be found that recognizes the cancer cell.  This cell is
then grown and reingected into to patient.  Variants of this involve the
the use of cytokines that stimulate the t cells in the persons body.  See
work by Michael Lotz at University of Pittsburgh.

> >In that above chemical equation is myeloperoxidase, which is an enzyme.
> >Enzymes are made of proteins.
>
> From what I have read, most enzymes ARE proteins.

All enzymes are proteins except for ribozymes.  But some interesting
enzymes exsist that are a compbination of Nucleic acid and protein(see
telomerase) and sine it is the belief of the scientific community that
telomerase is important to stabilizing the ends of DNA, it is VERY
important to cancer.

> >Thyroid hormone is necessary in order for
> >the human body to make hundreds of different kinds of proteins that act
> >as enzymes, act as ion pumps (channels), and act as carrier proteins.
>
> I would be interested to learn where thyroid hormone is needed in this
> process.  After reading this statement or one like it in an earlier post,
> I did some more reading and learned more about the protein synthesis
> process.  In particular, I learned, as I noted above, that synthesis by
> the ribosomes is not always, maybe even not usually, the end of the process.
> So post-processing to edit the basic ribosome-produced protein into the
> final form is one place I can imagine that thyroid hormone could be needed.

Learn what T3 is and then think about he problem.  I stated above the
basics.  What you need to do is see what cells are responsive to it.

> The other is kind of interesting.  It turns out that ribosomes are themselves
> complexes -- it's not entirely clear from Stryer's "Biochemistry" if they
> are actually molecules or strings of molecules bonded together in some way --
> anyway they are made up of sections which are basically RNA and are called
> ribosomal RNA, and sections which are proteins.  Already in 1994 when
> Stryer's 4th Edition was published, the structure of ribosomes was known
> in great detail and doubtless even more is known today.  Anyway, what I
> found fascinating was to realize that

Ribozomes are made of many proteins not just one that come to gether as
subunits.  For more info get a cell biology book.  I would suggest
Darnell, Lodish and Baltimores  "Molecular Cell Biology"

> (1) Ribosomes are the "factories" that make proteins (or at least make
>     the preliminary forms), and

Ribosomes are platforms where mRNA is read and corresponding tRNA can dock.

> (2) Ribosomes themselves are partly made up of proteins.

Ribosomes are all protein but the RNA that dock there are not. :-)

> Which leaves us with a sort of "chicken and egg" problem, doesn't it?
> I.e., how can ribosomes get made in the first place if ribosomes are
> needed to make protein, but ribosomes CONTAIN protein?  That is why
> a bare planet with just some DNA could not have life spring up very easily.
> As a minimum, I would think it would require a single cell containing
> both the DNA and a ribosome, plus some amino acids floating around.

You are now moving into evollution and how it all came to be.  The current
theory is that RNA came first then DNA and then protein but this is just
theory and conjecture.  Remember what I mentioned above the RNA can act as
an enzyme and it is called a ribozyme.

> But that's digressing too much.  Back to my question -- can you fill me in
> on how the thyroid hormone is used in the process of making myeloperoxidase?
>
> >Best I have been able to research is that the human body can not make
> >that needed myeloperoxidase enzyme unless it has enough thyroid hormone
> >to do so.  So Gerson, and I was told also Cone, use thyroid hormone so
> >their patients can make the needed myeloperoxidase enzyme that their
> >patients must have in order for their phagocytic immune cells to attack
> >cancers.

see article:  Piedrafita FJ. Molander RB. Vansant G. Orlova EA. Pfahl M.
Reynolds WF. An Alu element in the myeloperoxidase promoter contains
a composite SP1-thyroid hormone-retinoic acid response element. Journal of
Biological Chemistry. 271(24):14412-20, 1996 Jun 14.

> >From my research thus far, Gerson, and perhaps Cone, have the highest
> >cure rates for incurable cancers, because of their use of thyroid
> >hormone, etc..

This is highly speculative on your part.  I see no evidence this far to
say that the non specific poly nuclear leucocytes are the ones killing the
"cancer cells".
It is entirely possible that the T3 is acting on the cancer cell and
inducing oxidative stress on those cells and thus causing the cells to die
via apoptosis.

> This is VERY interesting especially in the light of your "do-it-yourself"
> formula for getting the thyroid producing more thyroxin, because your
> method does NOT require the assistance of an M.D. (although supervision
> would probably be wise).
>
> >Folks with advanced cancers do not have a normal imflammation reaction
> >like healthy folks because they immune systems refuse to work and often
> >die as a result of infections because their immune systems refuse to
> >work.  They have too much sodium and not enough potassium inside of
> >every cell in their bodies, also, undoubtably caused by a lack of
> >sodium-potassium ion pumps (channels) ... which is caused by a lack of
> >thyroid hormone.

Is it?  please explain your logic.

you can not just say that it A caused B and B caused C threfore the reason
for elevation of C is due to Z without proof.
T3receptor is a permiscous nuclear receptor that can pair with RXR, RAR
and others and bind to sp1 sites.  Which partner it binds to will define
the effect.  Therefore, how do you know it is not the partner to T#
receptor that is the culprit?

> >Their nervous systems do not work properly either
> >caused by a lack of neurotransmitters, ie., dopa, dopamine, adrenalin,
> >and noradrenalin, which are made from from an amino acid called
> >tyrosine.  An enzyme in the liver converts the amino acids phenylalanine
> >into the amino acids tyrosine which is then converted into those missing
> >neurotransmitters.  Folks with cancers lack that enzyme to convert
> >phenylalanine into tyrosine because they lack thyroid hormone that is
> >necessary to make that enzyme.

This is right and WRONG.  Metabolism is not so clear cut.  The body
prefers to get its amino acids from food and adsorbs them uniformly.  What
you are describing is a scavenger system which may or may not be used.
Also, if the enzyme is missing, it presumably is not being made and one
must first speculate that the the promoter of the enzyme is not being
properly stimulated which takes us back to transcription factors and which
ones are or are not there.

> Interesting...  I wonder if your method of souping up thyroid function
> would also help people with phenylketonuria or those with difficulty
> processing NutraSweet(tm)?  Which metabolizes into phenylanaline among
> other things.
>
> >When a person eats proteins the proteins get broken down into amino
> >acids in the digestive system and then they enter the blood system and
> >are taken the liver when they are deaminated, ie., in the presense of an
> >enzyme the ammonia group is removed from the amino acids ... which later
> >ends up in the urine and gives urine its smell of ammonia.  Folks with
> >advanced cancers can not tolerate proteins much at all because that lack
> >that enzyme needed to deaminate amino acids ... because they lack
> >thyroid hormone which is necessary to produce that enzyme.

Folks with advanced cancers.....were these cancers treated or untreated?
Many chemothearapuetic agents severly impair liver function.  Thius if
someone has been treated then one would expect decreasedliver function.

> What you describe here must apply to amino acids which are not needed or
> which are present in excess, because the body needs an "amino acid pool"
> to be used to synthesize proteins.

Most correct.

> >In order for the body to produce thyroid hormone it needs a bit of
> >Vitamin E, some iodine, and the amino acid tyrosine.  Folks with

What they need is TSH (tyroid stimulating hormone) from the pituitary.

> >advanced cancers lack the enzyme in their livers to convert the amino
> >acid phenylalanine into the amino acid tyrosine, so they can not produce
> >enough thyroid hormone.  Right they lack that given enzyme that is

If that is so then one should be able to measure the tyrosine in the blood
and note a " marked" decrease.  I have not seen such data.  Do you have
it?

> >needed to convert phenylalanine into tyrosine because they need thyroid
> >hormone to make that enzyme!  So many folks with cancers just spiral
> >down hill until DEATH.

The rate limiting ingredient for TH production is iodine and TSH.

> >Well, after reading, researching, going through endess hell and
> >confusion, I learned the above information.  And I took 1000 mgs. of
> >L-tyrosine I purchased at a GNC store, plus a bit of Vitamin E, never
> >more the 100 IU's per day, and seven times the daily recommended dose of
> >iodine, never take more then ten times the daily recommended dose of
> >iodine or it shuts down your thyroid, and I got my immune system to
> >function and wipe out cancers, and infections for me!

Wooooooo.  Your are now treading into the danger zone.   First, I doubt
that the liver allows for the tyrosine to escape to the serum.  and if it
did, you may run into toxicity problems.
see : Yokogoshi H. Effect of dietary level of protein or methionine and
threonine on the amino acids and catecholamines in brain of rats fed a
high
tyrosine diet. Journal of Nutritional Science & Vitaminology.
31(5):519-31, 1985 Oct.
or
Datta K. Ghosh JJ. Effect of dietary threonine supplementation on tyrosine
toxicity in the rat. Journal of Nutrition. 107(9):1575-82,
1977 Sep
Many more references can be found.  If I were you, I WOULD STOP
EXPERIMENTING ON YOURSELF.  You are putting yourself at risk and do not
have the knowledge base needed to create your own anti cancer therapy.  If
you want my opinion, eat lots of beans,  I have seen studies that show
that peaple with high intake of beans have low matastasis rates.  Remeber
that primary cancers do not kill it is the ones that get out that do.

The rest was snipped because I could not take any more.

Please do not experiment on onesself without a doctor because it is a bad
idead is all I can say

Regards

Peter Pediaditakis
Dept of Pathology