opening: Assistant Professor, Biostatistics, U Minnesota

Mike Miller mbmiller at taxa.epi.umn.edu
Wed Dec 19 22:30:47 EST 2001

See the posting below.  We would like to hire a statistical geneticist for
this position.  The optimal candidate will be interested in collaborating
with researchers in our Schools of Medicine and Public Health.  Expertise
in genetic linkage and association methods will be important, and
experience with statistical analysis of microarray data would be a major
plus.  We have several faculty with interests in statistical genetics
working in the divisions of Biostatistics and Epidemiology in our School
of Public Health.  I am on the search committee both for the position
described below and for a second Assoc./Full Prof. position (see the next
message or go to this web page: http://taxa.epi.umn.edu/~mbmiller/AssocFull.html).
Feel free to contact me with questions about statistical genetics at the
University of Minnesota.  You may prefer to contact the chair of the
search committee (James Neaton, see below) with other questions about the
search.

Michael B. Miller, Ph.D., Assistant Professor
Division of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of Minnesota
http://taxa.epi.umn.edu/~mbmiller/

http://taxa.epi.umn.edu/~mbmiller/Assistant.html

Division of Biostatistics
School of Public Health - University of Minnesota

ASSISTANT PROFESSOR (BIOSTATISTICS) - SPH 430

The Division of Biostatistics, School of Public Health, at the University
of Minnesota has an opening for a tenure-track faculty position at the
Assistant Professor level.

We are especially interested in individuals with excellent training and
interests in statistical genetics.  We will also give serious
consideration to applicants with a strong background or research record in
other areas including bioinformatics, proteomics, longitudinal data
analysis, or time series.

Applications received before March 1, 2002, will be considered for a first
round of interviews.  However we will continue to accept applications
until the positions are filled.

The Division of Biostatistics currently includes 21 graduate faculty and
87 staff. The Division offers MS, MPH, and PhD degrees, and interacts in
teaching and advising with the strong U of Minnesota School of Statistics.
Current research in statistical methodology includes analysis of spatial
and longitudinal data, Bayes and empirical Bayes methods,
computer-intensive methods such as Markov chain Monte Carlo, survival
analysis, longitudinal models, and generalized linear models.

The Division is the home for the statistical coordinating centers for a
number of clinical trials in AIDS/HIV, lung disease, and cardiovascular
disease.  Other major research areas of the Division include research in
cancer prevention and treatment, dental research, environmental and
occupational health, health policy, chronic care and smoking prevention.
Multi-year grants and contracts for various Divisional projects total over
$75 M.

A successful candidate for the position described here will be expected to
take an active part in both methodological research and collaboration in
projects with other researchers in the School of Public Health and Medical
School, including the recently established Biomedical Genomics Center and
the Bioinformatics Center.  She/he will also be responsible for teaching
and advising students at the graduate level.  At the present time, we have
57 graduate students (45 MS and 12 PhD).  The salary range for this
faculty position will be very competitive, and the University of Minnesota
offers excellent fringe benefits.

To apply, please send a letter specifying interest in the Assistant
Professor position, names and addresses of three potential referees, and a
copy of your current curriculum vitae to :  Professor James Neaton, Chair
of Search Committee, Division of Biostatistics, A460 Mayo Building, Box
303, 420 Delaware Street SE, Minneapolis, MN 55455.

For additional information regarding the Division, the School of Public
Health, and the University, please visit our website at:
http://www.biostat.umn.edu/

The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer.