opening: Associate/Full Professor, Biostatistics, U Minnesota

Mike Miller mbmiller at taxa.epi.umn.edu
Wed Dec 19 22:31:34 EST 2001

See the posting below.  We hope to hire a statistical geneticist for one
of our two open position.  The position described below could be filled by
a statistical geneticist, so please do not hesitate to apply if you are
qualified and interested in the job.  Expertise in genetic linkage and
association methods will be important, and experience with statistical
analysis of microarray data would be a major plus.  We have several
faculty with interests in statistical genetics working in the divisions of
Biostatistics and Epidemiology in our School of Public Health.  I am on
the search committee both for the position described below and for a
second Asst. Prof. position (see the previous message or go to this web
page: http://taxa.epi.umn.edu/~mbmiller/Assistant.html). Feel free to
contact me with questions about statistical genetics at U Minnesota.  You
may prefer to contact the chair of the search committee (James Neaton, see
below) with other questions about the search.

Michael B. Miller, Ph.D., Assistant Professor
Division of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of Minnesota
http://taxa.epi.umn.edu/~mbmiller/

http://taxa.epi.umn.edu/~mbmiller/AssocFull.html

Division of Biostatistics
School of Public Health - University of Minnesota

ASSOCIATE/FULL PROFESSOR (BIOSTATISTICS) - SPH 429

The Division of Biostatistics, School of Public Health, at the University
of Minnesota is announcing an opening for a tenured or tenure-track
faculty position at the Professor or Associate Professor level.

We are especially interested in individuals with a strong record of
research and participation in clinical trials. We are expanding our
activity in clinical trials and interested applicants will also be
considered as candidates to serve as Director of a new Clinical Trials
Center within the Division of Biostatistics.  We will also give serious
consideration to applicants with a strong research record in longitudinal
data analysis, time series, statistical genetics and related areas.

Applications received before March 1, 2002, will be considered for a first
round of interviews.  However we will continue to accept applications
until the position is filled.

The Division of Biostatistics currently includes 21 graduate faculty and
87 staff. The Division offers MS, MPH, and PhD degrees, and interacts in
teaching and advising with the strong U of Minnesota School of Statistics.
Current research in statistical methodology includes analysis of spatial
and longitudinal data, Bayes and empirical Bayes methods,
computer-intensive methods such as Markov chain Monte Carlo, survival
analysis, longitudinal models, and generalized linear models.

The Division is the home for the statistical coordinating centers for a
number of clinical trials in AIDS/HIV, lung disease, and cardiovascular
disease.  Other major research areas of the Division include research in
cancer prevention and treatment, dental research, environmental and
occupational health, health policy, chronic care and smoking prevention.
Multi-year grants and contracts for various Divisional projects total over
$75 M.

A successful candidate for the position described here will be expected to
take an active part in clinical trials or in methodological research and
to collaborate on projects with other researchers in the School of Public
Health, the Medical School, the Comprehensive Cancer Center, and other
units of the University.

A successful candidate will also be responsible for teaching and advising
students at the graduate level.  At the present time, the Division has 57
graduate students (45 MS and 12 PhD).

The salary range for this faculty position will be very competitive, and
the University of Minnesota offers excellent fringe benefits.

To apply, please send a letter specifying interest in the Full/Associate
Professor position, names and addresses of three potential references, and
a copy of your current curriculum vitae to :  Professor James Neaton,
Chair of Search Committee, Division of Biostatistics, A460 Mayo Building,
Box 303, 420 Delaware Street SE, Minneapolis, MN 55455.

For additional information regarding the Division, the School of Public
Health, and the University, please visit our website at:
http://www.biostat.umn.edu/

The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer.