are there predicted mRNA sequences in GenBank

Francis Clark fc at maths.uq.edu.au
Wed Apr 20 02:45:06 EST 2005

Hello,

I collect up mRNA sequences from the main GenBank flat files (for
example, the gbpri*.seq files) in order to add to collections of
transcripts derived from the est and htc files.

I've been trying to work out if any of these "mRNA" sequences are
predicted, rather than being bona fide (possibly partial) mRNAs
that someone somewhere has sequenced. I mean predicted in the
sense of being a predicted splicing of sequenced DNA. I have
previously encountered a similar sort of problem, where,
apparently, mRNA sequences have been annotated as DNA. In any
case:

Are any of the "mRNA" sequences in GenBank predicted, and if so
what is the best approach to identifying them?

Any help with this will be greatly appreciated,

Francis

--
Francis Clark, PhD
Research Fellow,

---

- gttaacaattaaagagtgtttatcgaaattcattatatagtggtttatatagaccacttc
-
- GenBank newsgroup see: http://www.bio.net/hypermail/genbankb/
- GENBANKB e-mail: messages sent to genbankb at net.bio.net
- subscribe: e-mail biosci-server at net.bio.net with: subscribe genbankb