GenStructure HOW TO JOIN HOW TO POST MESSAGES --moderator--

daemon at net.bio.net daemon at net.bio.net
Fri Feb 7 15:43:08 EST 1997

All information found below can be found in the GenStructure FAQ at:

http://www.medcor.mcgill.ca/EXPMED/GENSTRUCTURE/genstructure.html

GenStructure Subscription Information

 Subscribing to this group:

      IF YOU HAVE ACCESS TO THE World Wide Web: You can participate in any
 of the news group forums provided by Bionet by accessing there website (
 www.bio.net ). This is actually the preferred method of access as the
 existence of Bionet is increasingly dependent on donations and industry
 support. Accordingly, certain high profile groups are sponsored by
 companies involved in bioscience. By visiting the site and visiting the
 links to their web sites you  can help support the continuing existence of
 Bionet.

      IF YOU USE USENET NEWS: you need do nothing other than participate in
      bionet.molbio.recombination when it appears in your newsreader.
 Depending upon your news  software, this may entail you having to answer a
 prompt indicating that you want to subscribe.  You might also try the
 command "g bionet.molbio.recombination" in rn-like newsreaders.

      IF YOU ARE LOCATED IN EUROPE, AFRICA, OR CENTRAL ASIA: please send
      the word help in the body of your message to MXT at dl.ac.uk to retrieve
 general server usage   instructions. To subscribe to the GenStructure
list,
 first be sure that you are sending mail from the address at which you wish
 to receive news postings, and then send the command:

      SUB bionet.genome.gene-structure

      toMXT at dl.ac.uk. This message will be automatically read by the
 computer and your e-mail address will be extracted from the mail header
and
 added to the list.

      IF YOU ARE LOCATED IN THE AMERICAS OR THE PACIFIC RIM: log in to the
      computer account in which you would like to receive mail (not an
 account that you use infrequently) and send a mail message to the Internet
 address

      biosci-server at net.bio.net

      Leave the Subject: line of the message blank and enter the following
 line into the body of the mail message:

      subscribe genstruc

 This message will be automatically read by our computer and your e-mail
 address will be extracted from the mail header and added to the list.

 Canceling your subscription:

      IF YOU ARE LOCATED IN EUROPE, AFRICA, OR CENTRAL ASIA: first be sure
      that you are sending mail from the address at which you signed up to
 receive news postings, and then send the command (in the body of your mail
 message)

      UNSUB bionet.genome.gene-structure

      to MXT at dl.ac.uk. This message will be automatically read by the
 computer and your e-mail  address will be extracted from the mail header
 and removed from the list.

      IF YOU ARE LOCATED IN THE AMERICAS OR THE PACIFIC RIM: send a
      message to biosci-server at net.bio.net exactly as described above for
 subscribing except include the text

      unsubscribe genstruc

      in the body of the message. Please be sure to send the message from
 the account whoseaddress matches the one on the list. If your address
 differs, we will be notified automatically and   will remove you manually
 from the list if we can determine what was your old address. Please
contact
 biosci-help at net.bio.net if you have problems.

 IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM:

 Please send a message to one of the following addresses depending upon
your
 location

 Address                             Location
 -------                              --------
 biosci at daresbury.ac.uk               Europe, Africa, and Central Asia
 biosci-help at net.bio.net              Americas and the Pacific Rim

 and someone on the staff will help you.  PLEASE DO NOT send mail to
 our personal e-mail addresses as this will delay a response to your
 request for help.

*
 ********

 How to post a message to the group

 If you use news, simply post a message into bionet.molbio.recombination.
Be
 sure to set your "distribution" to "world" or else the message might not
 leave your site!!

 To post by e-mail, mail your message to one of the following addresses
 depending upon your location:

 Posting Address                     Location

 as you will bother everyone on the newsgroup!!!

 How to reply to a message on the group:

 If you are using a newsreader, simply use the reply or follow-up command
on
 your newsreader (these
 vary from program to program) to send either private or public replies.

 If you are using e-mail, replies to messages that you receive will *NOT*
be
 automatically returned to
 the group. This is the standard for Internet mailing lists as opposed to
 BITNET LISTSERVs which
 often send all replies back to everyone. You must be certain that your
 reply contains either of the two
 newsgroup posting addresses above in your message header if you want to
 share it with everyone on
 the group. Otherwise in most cases your reply may go back to only the
 original poster of the message
 to which you are replying.

 ALWAYS be certain that you examine the address on your messages before you
 send them!!! Once a
 message is sent there is no way to cancel it or bring it back!!! Some
 non-Internet compliant mail
 systems may attempt to send replies to our error-trapping address called
 BIOSCI-REQUEST. If
 yours does this, please be sure to readdress your message to
 genestruc at net.bio.net or
 genestruc at daresbury.ac.uk if you want to send it to the newsgroup.

 How to look at archives of the list:

 The BIOSCI archives and other BIOSCI information can be found on our
Bionet
 WWW home
 page. Easy access from the WWW home page to our FTP/gopher area is
 available for information
 retrieval.

 Past Articles can be obtained in one of three ways:

    1.Archives for GENSTRUCTURE/bionet.genome.gene-structure are kept in
the
      anonymous FTP account at net.bio.net [204.31.212.2]. Look in the
 directory
      pub/BIOSCI/GENSTRUCTURE for posting archives. Each file is assigned a
 date such as
      9312 for December 1993. Please note that ours is a UNIX system and
all
 file and directory
      names are case-sensitive, i.e., upper case file names are different
 from lower case names.

    2.You can also access these same files via Gopher if you start a gopher
 session using net.bio.net
      as your gopher server. Gopher also allows you to view the individual
 messages within each
      monthly archive file. The files are in the RECOMBINATION directory.

    3.Postings to bionet.genome.gene-structrure are also WAIS indexed and
 can be searched via
      either gopher or WAIS at our site. In gopher the option at
net.bio.net
 is "Search Bionet
      USENET Articles" and in WAIS one should use the WAIS source
 biosci.src. This is a WAIS
      index of all BIOSCI/bionet messages including this newsgroup. Please
 see the BIOSCI FAQ
      for details.