"gene within a gene" ex. in Higher Euk ?

Pamela Norton pnorton at hendrix.JCI.TJU.EDU
Fri Jul 18 22:44:16 EST 1997

In article <5q3tb2$lq4 at net.bio.net>, Lab <jzhang at oryx.Rutgers.EDU> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Can anyone supply an example (with reference if possible) of a
> "gene within a gene" structure (either strand) in the genome of
> a higher eukaryote?
>
> No one I've spoken to can supply an example, but everyone
> (including me) is pretty sure they've seen examples.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --Jeff

     Add to the other replies:

     c-myb, which overlaps with the gene for splicing factor SC35.
     PNAS 89:11683-7. (1992)

     I also am fairly certain that one of the tenascin genes (tenascin X?)
falls into this category, but I cannot lay my hands on the reference.

     Pam Norton

--
Pamela A. Norton, Ph.D.          Associate Professor of Medicine
Thomas Jefferson University
Philadelphia, PA 19107           p_norton at lac.jci.tju.edu