ABST:Epigenetic silencing of RNA polymerase I transcription[ G&D

Graham Dellaire dellaire at odyssee.net
Tue Sep 2 07:59:07 EST 1997

Epigenetic silencing of RNA polymerase I transcription: a role for DNA
methylation and histone modification in nucleolar dominance

Z. Jeffrey Chen and Craig S. Pikaard

Biology Department, Washington University, St. Louis, Missouri 63130 USA

Nucleolar dominance is an epigenetic phenomenon that describes nucleolus
formation around rRNA genes inherited from only one progenitor of an
interspecific hybrid or allopolyploid. The phenomenon is widespread,
occurring
in plants, insects, amphibians, and mammals, yet its molecular basis
remains
unclear. We have demonstrated nucleolar dominance in three allotetraploids
of
the plant genus Brassica. In Brassica napus, accurately initiated pre-rRNA
transcripts from one progenitor, Brassica rapa are detected readily,
whereas
transcripts from the ~3000 rRNA genes inherited from the other progenitor,
Brassica oleracea, are undetectable. Nuclear run-on confirmed that
dominance is
controlled at the level of transcription. Growth of B. napus seedlings on
5-aza-2'-deoxycytidine to inhibit cytosine methylation caused the normally
silent, under-dominant B. oleracea rRNA genes to become expressed to high
levels. The histone deacetylase inhibitors sodium butyrate and trichostatin
also de-epressed silent rRNA genes. These results reveal an enforcement
mechanism for nucleolar dominance in which DNA methylation and histone
modifications combine to regulate rRNA gene loci spanning tens of megabase
pairs
of DNA.

Z. Jeffrey Chen
Biology Department