getting the picture/correction

alvaro mailhos alvaro at genetica.edu.uy
Tue May 12 14:17:26 EST 1998

In my previous message I wrote:

>Regarding intron loss, apparently is not uncommon to see >the loss of
introns when we compare the genomic structure >of a gene in two different
species. Now the question is how >would this be achieved keeping intact the
reading frame and >not loosing a single triplet (I've seen many examples of
>this myself)?

What I actally meant is that one can see that quite closely related genes
those coding for homeodomain proteins, for instance have introns at given
positions while other members within the same class lack some of those
introns. The predicted proteins have still exactly the same number of
aminoacidic residues (what I mean is that one has to assume a perfect
remotion of the intron sequences since the alignment of the predicted
proteins is still "perfect"). The only mechanism to explain this would be
retrotransposition of partially processed mRNAs at a certain point in the
evolutionary history of these genes? Or it exists an alternative way?
Alvaro Mailhos
Laboratorio de Evoluci=F3n
Facultad de Ciencias
Igu=E1 c/ Mataojo