Bioinformatics session in TMBM'99 conference

G. Dellaire G. Dellaire
Sun Feb 14 11:21:37 EST 1999

 Dear Colleague,

 There is a big international conference in the Netherlands from 30 une
 to 3 July on "Theory and Mathematics in Biology and Medicine". It
 includes a session on 'Sequencing, folding, and molecular stucture'
 (ets say: bioinformatics), which focuses on theoretical and
 mthematical aspects of bioinformatics.
 We, as session organisers, would like to point out to you that the
 deadline for abstracts is 1 March 1999. If you wish to take part in
this
 exciting conference, took a look at the website
 http://www.bio.vu.nl/tmbm99 for further details or read the conference
 announcement and call for abstracts that we have included in this
 messages.

 We hope to see you there as presenter or participant!

 The session organisers "Sequencing, Folding, and Molecular Structure"

 F.H.D. van Batenburg (University of Leiden, The Netherlands)
 J.J.M. Riethoven (European Bioinformatics Institute, UK)

 --------------------------------------

	SECOND AND FINAL ANNOUNCEMENT

> 		Theory and Mathematics in Biology and Medicine
>

> 			   June 29 - July 3, 1999
> 		Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, The Netherlands
>

> >A meeting organised under auspices of:
> >- The European Society for Mathematical and Theoretical Biology
(ESMTB)
> >- The Society for Mathematical Biology (SMB)
> >- The Netherlands Society for Theoretical Biology (NVTB)

> >------
> >WELCOME
> >
> >The international conference on Theory and Mathematics in Biology and
> >Medicine 1999 will be held in Amsterdam, the Netherlands from Tuesday
> >June
> >29 through Saturday July 3, 1999. The organising committee is
pleased
> >invite colleagues all over the world to join this conference.
> >
> >Theoretical and mathematical biology and medicine is a diverse
field in
> >which interdisciplinary collaboration is essential for progress. The
> >field
> >ranges from experimental research linked to mathematical modelling to
> >the
> >development of more abstract mathematical frameworks in which
> >observations
> >about the real world can be interpreted and with which new hypotheses
> >for
> >testing can be generated. More recently, much attention is also
paid to
> >the
> >development of efficient algorithms for complex computations and
> >visualisation, notably in molecular biology and genetics (i.e. genome
> >mapping).
> >
> >The TMBM99 conference aims to stimulate interdisciplinary
collaboration
> >between mathematicians and the bioscientists and to act as the main
> >forum
> >for the exchange of recent research results and new research
directions
> >the widest possible community in theoretical biology and medicine.
The
> >meeting is unique in that it is the fourth official tri-annual
congress
> >of
> >the European Society for Mathematical and Theoretical Biology (ESMTB)
> >joined with the annual conference of the Society for Mathematical
> >Biology
> >(SMB) for 1999. The conference is organised by the Netherlands
Society
> >for
> >Theoretical Biology, the world's oldest society for theoretical
> >biology. Through these links, this will be the first World Congress
> >devoted
> >to one of the fastest growing domains in science where experimental
> >biology
> >and medicine, biochemistry, mathematics, computational science,
physics
> >and
> >various fields of technology come together to attack many problems of
> >great
> >relevance to society.
> >
> >In this second and final announcement you will find information about
> >the scientific program and about the possibilities to present oral
and
> >poster contributions. In addition we provide some information on
> >registration and submission of abstracts and we guide you to our web
> >page for actual registration and submission.
> >
> >We are looking forward to see you at the conference.
> >
> >The organising committee

> >------
> >ORGANISATION
> >
> >Organising committee:
> >Andre de Roos, Frank van den Bosch, Paul Doucet, Odo Diekmann, Patsy
> >Haccou, Hans Heesterbeek, Lia Hemerik, Jaap Kaandorp, Carolien de
> >Kovel, Mirjam Kretzschmar, Bob Kooi, Matthijs Luger, Jaap van Pelt,
> >Hans Westerhoff.
> >

> >Scientific committee:
> >Zvia Agur, Wolfgang Alt, Albert Goldbeter, Lou Gross, Mats
Gyllenberg,
> >Reinhart Heinrich, Andreas Herz, Paulien Hogeweg, Yoh Iwasa,
Vlastimil
> [...]
> >Environment (RIVM), The Netherlands)
> >J.A.P. Heesterbeek (Centre for Biometry Wageningen (DLO), The
> >Netherlands)
> >
> >Invited speakers:
> >1. R.M. Anderson (University of Oxford, United Kingdom)
> >2. K. Dietz (Tuebingen University, Germany)
> >
> >Abstract:
> >This session focuses on the mathematical modelling of the spread of
> >infectious diseases in human and animal populations. In particular,
we
> >invite talks dealing with the effects of contact patterns, stochastic
> >phenomena, multiple hosts and evolutionary aspects of infectious
> >diseases.
> >

> >3. Sequencing, Folding and Molecular Structure
> >----------------------------------------------
> >Organisers:
> >J.J.M. Riethoven (European Bioinformatics Institute, United Kingdom)
> >F.H.D. van Batenburg (Leiden University, the Netherlands)
> >
> >Invited speakers:
> >1. M.S. Waterman (University of Southern California, USA)
> >2. P.G. Higgs (University of Manchester, United Kingdom)
> >
> >Abstract:
> >Focusing on the more theoretical and mathematical issues and advances
> >in this exciting field of bioinformatics, this one-day session will
> >include topics on DNA fragment assembly, sequence/protein comparison,
> >sequence analysis, secondary and tertiary structure (prediction) of
> >macro- molecules such as RNA, DNA and proteins, sequence analysis,
and
> >gene prediction.
> >

> >4. Evolution, Game Theory and Adaptive Dynamics
> >-----------------------------------------------
> >Organisers:
> >F.J.Weissing (Groningen University, The Netherlands)
> >C.G.F. de Kovel (Utrecht University, The Netherlands)
> >
> >Invited speakers:
> >1. J.A.J. Metz (Leiden University, the Netherlands)
> >2. (To Be Confirmed) S.C. Stearns (University of Basel, Switzerland.)
> >
> >Abstract:
> >The last three decades have revolutionized the way we think about
> >evolution at various levels of organisation. New theoretical ideas on
> >topics as molecular evolution, genetic conflicts, frequency- and
> >density-dependent selection, sexual selection, spatial interactions,
> >or non-equilibrium dynamics have played a major role in this
> >process. Still there are major challenges as, for example, the
> >integration of genetic and phenotypic approaches to natural
selection,
> >or the incorporation of developmental genetics into evolutionary
> >theory. Several of these topics will be addressed in this session. We
> >will also consider the empirical relevance of present-day models and
> >discuss whether new modelling approaches are required to improve the
> >testability of evolutionary theories.
> >

> >5. Computational Neuroscience
> >-----------------------------
> >Organisers:
> >J. van Pelt (Netherlands Institute for Brain Research, The
Netherlands)
> [...]
> >participant sends in more than a single abstract we will only take
the
> >first one submitted into consideration.
> >
> >The abstract submission deadline is March 1, 1999.
> >
> >Oral presentations:  These are 15 minutes presentations (plus 5
minutes
> >		     discussion). You can indicate in which session
> >		     your presentation fits best. The first author has
> >		     to give the presentation at the conference.
> >
> >Poster presentation: Posters will be displayed for one day. You are
> >required
> >		     to be present at the poster viewing time for
> >		     discussions with other participants.
> >
> >Please visit the web-site http://www.bio.vu.nl/tmbm99 for more
details
> >and submission of an abstract.

> >------
> >HOTEL ACCOMMODATION
> >
> >Preliminary reservations of rooms have been made in a range of hotels
> >within the city of Amsterdam. Hotels in different categories are
> >available
> >for booking.
> >
> >Hotel reservations will be handled by:
> >
> >Carlson Wagonlit Travel
> >Dam 19
> >1012 JS Amsterdam, The Netherlands
> >Phone#  +31-(0)20-6241361
> >Fax#    +31-(0)20-6235107
> >e-mail: agm at keytours.nl
> >

> >Cancellation
> >------------
> >In case of cancellation the total amount minus handling charges (NLG
> >50,-) will be refunded, provided a written request is received by
> >Carlson Wagonlit Travel before June 21 1999.
> >
> >Visit our web-site http://www.bio.vu.nl/tmbm99 for a list of hotels
> >and booking of accommodation.

> >------
> >IMPORTANT DATES
> >
> >March 1, 1999: abstract submission deadline
> >
> >April 1, 1999: early registration deadline
> >
> >May 15,  1999: notification of acceptance of abstract
> >
> >June 1,  1999: deadline of cancellation with partial reimbursement
> >
> >June 21, 1999: deadline of hotel cancellation with partial
> reimbursement

> >------
> >IMPORTANT ADDRESSES
> >
> >- For the most complete source of the latest information:
> >
> >The conference web-site http://www.bio.vu.nl/tmbm99
> >

> >- For answers to some Frequently Asked Questions:
> >
> >http://toranaga.bio.uva.nl/~aroos/tmbm99-faq.html
> >

> >- For information concerning registration, abstract forms, etc.:
> >
> >University Conference Service
> >De Boelelaan 1105
> >NL-1081 HV Amsterdam, The Netherlands
> >Phone#  +31-(0)20-444 5790
> >Fax#    +31-(0)20-444 5825
> >e-mail: vu_conference at dienst.vu.nl
> >

> >- For hotel reservation:
> >
> >Carlson Wagonlit Travel
> >Dam 19
> >1012 JS Amsterdam, The Netherlands
> >Phone#  +31-(0)20-6241361
> >Fax#    +31-(0)20-6235107
> >e-mail: agm at keytours.nl
> >

> >-For contacting the organising committee:

==

Moderated
bionet.genome.gene-structure