Postdoctoral Position in Recombination of

John Jelesko jelesko at vt.edu
Thu Dec 12 09:59:30 EST 2002

Postdoctoral Position:

Meiotic Recombination in Plant Resistance Gene
Clusters

Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA

A NIH-funded postdoctoral position is available to
study the impact of
 meiotic recombination on the structure and function
 of pathogen resistance
 gene clusters in plants.  This is a collaborative
 project between Dr. John
 McDowell and Dr. John Jelesko (Jelesko et al., PNAS
 96 10302-7, McDowell et
al., The Plant Cell 10, 1861-1874).  The project is
 based on a high
 throughput genetic screen, to identify rare
 recombination events within gene
 clusters that provide resistance to the downy mildew
 pathogen Peronospora
 parasitica.  We will address a wide variety of
 outstanding questions
 regarding the frequency and character of meiotic
 recombination within R gene
 clusters, as well as the functional consequences of
 the resulting chimeric R
 genes.  This project is suitable for those with
 interests in plant molecular
 biology, meiotic recombination, molecular plant
 pathology, and/or molecular
 evolution.  We are looking for a highly motivated
 individual with a Ph.D. in
 molecular biology, genetics, or a related field.
 Interested individuals
 should contact either John McDowell (johnmcd at vt.edu)
 or John Jelesko
 (jelesko at vt.edu).

  Virginia Tech has an active plant biotechnology
 community and is expanding
 in the areas of molecular plant pathology and
 bioinformatics.  Our labs are
 housed in the recently constructed Fralin
 Biotechnology Center
 (www.biotech.vt.edu).  Virginia Tech is located in a
 relaxed, attractive
 mountain community, which contains all of the
 standard college town
 amenities as well as easy access to exceptional
 outdoor recreation
 opportunities (www.bev.net).  Virginia Tech is
 committed to equal
 opportunity employment, and we particularly
 encourage applications from
 underrepresented groups.

 John G. Jelesko
 Assistant Professor
 Plant Pathology, Physiology, and Weed Science
 Fralin Biotechnology Center, Virginia Tech
 Blacksburg, VA  24061-0346
 Phone: +1-540-231-3728    Fax:+1-540-231-7126
 Email:  jelesko at vt.edu

=====

Moderated
bionet.genome.gene-structure