Sialyl Lewis!?

Bob Lauder R.Lauder at
Mon Apr 10 09:23:14 EST 1995

In article <3mb11c$amj at>, R.Lauder at (Bob Lauder) says:
>In article <3lrio2$ig6 at>, srps at (Steven Pirie-Shepherd) says:
>>I need to know the structure of the tetrasaccharide sialyl Lewis ^x. I
> NeuAc(alpha2-3)Gal(beta1-4)GlcNAc(alpha1-3)Fucose.

I have been criticised for the way I have written this structure. It
may be more clearly represented by:

This shows that the fucose is alpha1-3 linked to the GlcNac
residue as a branch, and not as part of the chain.

I have also been critisised for my representation of N-acetyl-neuraminic
acid as NeuAc and not NeuNAc.  It is possible that a reader may not clearly
derive information regarding the fact that the acetyl group is N-linked
and not O-linked.

Therefore the structure for sialyl Lewis ^x may be represented by:

Bob Lauder				R.Lauder at
Division of Biological Sciences		Tel +(44)(0)1524 65201
Lancaster University, Lancaster, UK	Fax +(44)(0)1524 843854