Sialyl Lewis!?

Mon Apr 10 07:32:55 EST 1995

On 10 Apr 1995, Bob Lauder wrote:

> In article <3lrio2$ig6 at>, srps at (Steven Pirie-Shepherd) says:
> >
> >I need to know the structure of the tetrasaccharide sialyl Lewis ^x. I
>  NeuAc(alpha2-3)Gal(beta1-4)GlcNAc(alpha1-3)Fucose.
> I think.
> Bob Lauder				R.Lauder at
> Division of Biological Sciences		Tel +(44)(0)1524 65201
> Lancaster University, Lancaster, UK	Fax +(44)(0)1524 843854

The structure of sialyl Lewis x is:

This is for the simplest glycosphingolipid carrying the antigen.  The
outermost galactose and the fucose are both attached to the GlcNAc
residue, at the 4 and 3 positions respectively.  Nomenclature is based on
the IUPAC-IUB commision (published in JBC vol. 262, pp. 13-18, 1987).

A good general reference for structures carried on glycosphingolipids is
"Glycosphingolipids:  Structure, Biological Source, and Properties" by
Stults, et al. in Methods of Enzymology Vol. 179, pp.167-214.  Under the
"comment" column of these extensive structural tables, trivial and blood
group antigen nomenclatures are listed.

BOB:  Please be careful about putting incorrect structures on the net!