Sources of A23187 and thapsigarin

Bradley Turner bturner at MED-ITVAX1.BU.EDU
Sat Apr 15 20:03:50 EST 1995

Iain Wilson <wilson at> wrote in

>>treefrog at (Bryce Chackerian) wrote:
>> A recent report indicated that the drugs A23187 and thapsigargin inhibit
>> O-linked glycosylation.  Does anyone out there know who makes these drugs
>> and if you can purchase them.  Apparently a company called L.C. Labs in
>> Woburn, Mass manufactures thapsigargin; has anyone heard of them and/or
>> send me their phone number?
>> Thanks in advance
>> Bryce Chackerian
>> Dept. of Microbiology
>> U of Washington
>A quick look at the 1995 Sigma catalogue shows that thapsigargin
>(potent cell permeable IP3-independent intracellular calcium
>releaser and inhibitor of microsomal Ca-ATPase) is listed. Price
>127.10 Deutschmarks for 500 micrograms. Also, under calcium
>ionophore A23187 is listed a number of forms of either free acid
>or salts - starting from around 32 DM per mg. (For some reason
>even though Sigma have a 'Austrian' catalogue, the prices are in DM!)
>As for L.C. Labs, never heard of them!
>Iain Wilson                        Institut f|r Chemie
>Tel: 43-1-47654-6065               Universitdt f|r Bodenkultur
>Fax: 43-1-310-5176                 Gregor-Mendel-Stra_e 33
>E-mail: wilson at     A-1180, WIEN, Austria

Hi all,

from the Massachussets phonebook:

LC Laboratories
1651 (or 165T) New Boston
Woburn, MA 01801

In addition to the above and Sigma, A23187 and Thapsigarin are also
available from:

5166 Campus Drive
Plymouth Meeting, PA 19462 USA
Phone: 800-942-0430 or 610-941-0430
FAX: 610-941-9252

 By the way, I would be interested in the reference that describes
the o-glycosylation inhibiting activity of Thapsigarin.

Disclaimer: No commercial interest in the above companies other
than as a satisfied customer.

                    Bradley Turner
                 University Hospital

Boston University           PHONE: 617-638-8346
Medical Center              FAX:   617-638-7785
Gastroenterology, E-201     EMAIL: bturner at
88 East Newton Street              bsturner at
Boston, MA 02118, USA              bsturner at