Mizutani Foundation for Glycoscience

Steven Pirie-Shepherd srps at galactose.mc.duke.edu
Thu Aug 3 15:48:30 EST 1995

Karen Allendoerfer (ravena at CCO.CALTECH.EDU) wrote:
: 	The Mizutani Foundation for Glycoscience has advertised a
: competition for grant money in "Science."  It sounds very intriguing, but
: not much information is given in the advertisement.  Has anyone out
: there applied to this foundation or gotten a grant from them?  What has been
: your experience with this agency?

I made my boss write a grant based on my research. We work on the effects
of glycosylation on plasminogen, as it pertains to cell binding and
enzymatic activity(ation). We got Y5,000,000 from the foundation.

It is only for big wigs, and can be used for salary and equipment (salary
only for post-Docs). That is why my boss (Sal Pizzo) had to write the
grant. ANything from me would not have got a look in, although since we
published in JBC and I was first author that may (hopefully) change.

Basically I was looking for non Federal funds as I am on a visa (J-1) and
I thouht that this would be a good source, it worked for me! But yu have
to apply by September!!!!!!

The money has really helped as I am doing a lot of expensive sequence
analysis just now, coupled with CHO analysis.

Steven Pirie-Shepherd
srps at galactose.mc.duke.edu
"Insert your own pithy phrase just about here!"