EGC-1: Programs that may be useful for VCC sessions

Iain Wilson wilson at edv1.boku.ac.at
Tue Aug 8 11:52:51 EST 1995

To any EGC-1 registrants:

At some stage during the First Electronic Glycoscience Conference, you
may wish to log-on to the Virtual Conference Centre (VCC) in order to
take part in virtual discussions related to the different sections
of the conference. You can use Telnet programs and some of the
problems normally associated with MOOs are absent when using VCC due
to commands you can use to block out other people's sayings when you
wish to type. You may, however, consider downloading a MOO/MUD
client program with which text you are typing and actual VCC
transactions are separated. Personally, I can recommend, for PC
users, the program Mudwin - it has really made MOO sessions during
preparations for EGC-1 a lot easier. There are other programs I have
not tried which are also public domain but can be used with Macs or
UNIX. A list of client software FTP sites is given in the document
with the URL:

http://www.cms.dmu.ac.uk/~cph/moos.html

This page gives links to other documents related to MOOs: I have not
the inclination to find out how useful they may be!

BTW: usernames and passwords for EGC-1 will be sent out by John
Towell, the VCC manager, to all registrants (now over 250) in due
course.

Iain
co-organiser EGC-1
wilson at edv1.boku.ac.at