Enzymatic or synthetic chitosan

Debra Gaw dgaw at admag.com
Wed Aug 9 08:53:35 EST 1995

andreamn at aol.com (AndreaMN) wrote:
>I am currently working on a project to locate new technologies for the
>enzymatic or synthetic production of chitosan.  I know it is readily
>available from crab and shrimp shells, but I am looking for a technology
>which provides a more consistant product and is cost-effective.  I would
>be interested in genetic sythesis of chitosan, down regulation of glucan
>in fungi, or any other novel production.
>
>I don't know if this is the right newsgroup for this question.  If anyone
>out there has a lead, please pass it along.  Any stage of development or
>research would be fine.  Thanks!! :-)

Several years ago i worked on a similar project with chitin and chitosan.  My part
of the project entailed collecting all known references for extracting making and
using chitin and chitosan.  We ended up publishing a book The Chitin Sourcebook by
E.Pariser and D.Lombardi (J. Wiley Publishers).  Try contacting the The Sea Grant
College at MIT for more information as well. (We worked out of their offices.)  Good
Luck

-debbie