'Glycobiology' and abstracts for South Bend meeting - a clarific

Iain Wilson WILSON at edv1.boku.ac.at
Mon Feb 6 04:24:00 EST 1995

Dear All,
   I am forwarding this message on behalf of Jer Hart,

  Iain
  wilson at edv1.boku.ac.at

From:          "GWHart" <GWHART at bmg.bhs.uab.edu>
To:            WILSON at edv1.boku.ac.at
Date:          Sun, 5 Feb 1995 10:47:28 CST+6CDT

 I wanted to comment on a statement I saw (via Gopher) about Glycobiology
charging for abstracts at the meeting in South Bend. As you may know,
Glycobiology is now the Society Journal. Thus, the Society now gets the
Abstracts published for free (used to pay ~$10,000). In addition, the Society
received $6,000 dollars (amount nearly equal to the total dues revenue) in
royalities from the Journal last year and this number will likely go up
substantially. Thus, the Society has a better budget picture than
ever before as a result of the Journal. It is normal for meetings to charge a
'non-member' and member registration fee that covers the abstract costs. Dr.
Basu, perhaps because he was angry at the Journal? decided not to increase the
non-member registration fee to include the Abstracts, but rather just decided to
charge people for the Journal. It is unfair to blame the Journal for this practice.
The publishers are already being extremely generous. Just trying to set the
record straight! --Please Post this since my News connection is not working.
Thanks Jer

--Gerald W. Hart,Prof. & Chair,
Dept. Biochemistry and Molecular
Genetics University of Alabama at Birmingham,
1918 Univ. Boulevard
UAB Station Room 412 BHSB,
Birmingham, Alabama  U.S.A. 35294-0005
Phone: (205) 934-4753; FAX: (205) 975-6685;
Internet:GWHART at BMG.BHS.UAB.EDU