Oligosaccharide analysis methods

Iain Wilson WILSON at edv1.boku.ac.at
Mon Feb 20 06:38:51 EST 1995

Dear All,
  Different people swear by different chromatographic systems for the
separation of oligosaccharides. I suggest we have a discussion on
different people's preferences along the lines of :

 I believe x method is best because:
(a)  it suits my sample type/amount
(b)  its detection method is more sensitive/non-radioactive/
   does not require expensive equipment/has a linear molar response
(c)  it is reliable/has an internal standard/quick
(d)  it does not require special work-up/reagents/solvents

E.g. The group I have just joined use mainly HPLC methods with fluorescent
detection. We have a Dionex as well, but that is considered
too variable. I have been use to mainly radioactive detection in
conjunction with P4 and Dionex. Which method should prevail?

So come on and say something! After all this newsgroup is meant to be a forum
which allows swapping of ideas and is not meant as solely an
announcement forum. We have had some questions (like '2D PAS'), but
no follow-up discussion in the group - perhaps private e-mail has
been used, but we don't know!

Any follow-up should be directed to bionet.glycosci

Regards,

Iain

Iain Wilson                        Institut fuer Chemie
Tel: 43-1-47654-6065               Universitaet fuer Bodenkultur
Fax: 43-1-310-5176                 Gregor-Mendel-Strasse 33
E-mail: wilson at edv1.boku.ac.at     A-1180, WIEN, Austria

http://www-bprc.mps.ohio-state.edu/cgi-bin/hpp/iain_wilson.html