4-linked Gal

Iain Wilson WILSON at edv1.boku.ac.at
Tue Feb 21 06:32:10 EST 1995

>From: raju at aecom.yu.edu (T. Shantha Raju)
>Subject: 4-linked Gal
>Date: 19 Feb 1995 07:26:11 -0800
>
>Dear Everyone:
>
>Does anybody knows of any examples of 4-linked Gals in the polylactosamine
>chains or in N-/O- linked oligosaccharides?
>
>Thanks

Since there's apparently been no followup to this, I'll stick my neck
out!

I would have thought that 4-linked Gal is very common - but do you
refer to alpha or beta. For polylactosamines
Gal(beta1,4)GlcNAc(beta1,3) is the backbone. However, for alpha
linked Gal - I'm not familiar with an alpha1,4 linkage for any
mammalian N- or O- linked oligosaccharide.

Iain

Iain Wilson                        Institut fuer Chemie
Tel: 43-1-47654-6065               Universitaet fuer Bodenkultur
Fax: 43-1-310-5176                 Gregor-Mendel-Strasse 33
E-mail: wilson at edv1.boku.ac.at     A-1180, WIEN, Austria

http://www-bprc.mps.ohio-state.edu/cgi-bin/hpp/iain_wilson.html