Protein glycosylation and targetting

Petety V. Balaji balaji at MGLMMB1.NCI.NIH.GOV
Wed Feb 22 09:12:42 EST 1995

> Does anybody know of examples whose subcellular distribution may be
> etermined by their differential glycosylation state. This has been
> suggested as a possible reason as to why a particular protein may exist
> in both a membrane-bound and secreted form, both exhibiting different
> glycosylation patterns.
> Kieran Breen
> Dept. of Pharmacology, University of Dundee
> k.c.breeb at

>>I'm assuming you mean plasma membrane rather than an intracellular membrane
>>localisation? The only instance I am aware of where glycosylation is
>>for _determining_ subcellular distribution is in the case of lysosomal
>>targeting by
>>David Ashford
>>Plant Glycoprotein Research Facility
>>Dept of Biology, University of York
>>da5 at

O-GlcNAc is another type of glycosylation that determines the subcellular
distribution (from Gary Hart's group) (Hart et al., Ann.Rev.Biochem. 1988 Vol
58, pp 841). Unfortunately I do not have any recent reference.

balaji at