Protein glycosylation and targetting

David Ashford da5 at unix.york.ac.uk
Fri Feb 24 05:11:35 EST 1995

On 22 Feb 1995 06:12:42 -0800 Petety V. Balaji wrote:

> From: Petety V. Balaji <balaji at MGLMMB1.NCI.NIH.GOV>
> Date: 22 Feb 1995 06:12:42 -0800
> Subject: Re: Protein glycosylation and targetting
> To: "bionet.glycosci mail newsgroup" <bionet-news at dl.ac.uk>
>
> O-GlcNAc is another type of glycosylation that determines the subcellular
> distribution (from Gary Hart's group) (Hart et al., Ann.Rev.Biochem. 1988 Vol
> 58, pp 841). Unfortunately I do not have any recent reference.
>
> Balaji
>
> balaji at helix.nih.gov

I don't think that it has been shown that O-GlcNAc _determines_  subcellular
location and recent papers from Gerry Hart and co-workers don't make this claim. A
good place to start if you want to find out the latest on O-GlcNAc is Hayes & Hart
(1994) Novel forms of protein glycosylation, Current Opinion in Structural Biology,
4, 692-696.

Just because a particular glycosylation is associated with proteins in a subcellular
compartment it doesn't necessarily prove that that glycosylation is responsible for
their localisation. It may be, as is the case with O-GlcNAc, that proteins in particular
compartments are modified by glycosyltransferases in those compartments. That
leads on to the whole question of what determines a particular protein's
glycosylation; which is outside the scope of this posting.

David Ashford
Plant Glycoprotein Research Facility
Dept of Biology, University of York
da5 at york.ac.uk