GLYCOSCI FAQ: Subscriptions, posting, archives, etc.

Iain Wilson WILSON at edv1.boku.ac.at
Fri Feb 24 06:02:18 EST 1995

Dear All,
  The newsgroup is now three months old! To help any who only
recently have found the group, I thought I had better repost the
original message from Dave Kristofferson (BIOSCI/bionet Manager,
biosci-help at net.bio.net) - see below. The charter of the group is
accessible via  the GLYCOSCI archives or through 'The Glycoscience
Home Page' -
http://alcyone.pcl.ox.ac.uk/people/barry_spring95/Glyco.html

There is also the occasionally used GIG (Glycoscience Interest Group)
e-mailing list that Barry Hardy and I use for some announcements - if
you wish to have your name added, removed or amended on this list
advise Barry (bhardy at convex.ox.ac.uk) or myself.

Apologies to all who already know all these things. And keep posting!

  Iain
  Glycosci co-discussion leader
  wilson at edv1.boku.ac.at

Subscribing to this group:
"g bionet.glycosci" in rn-like newsreaders.

IF YOU ARE LOCATED IN EUROPE, AFRICA, OR CENTRAL ASIA: please send the
word

help

in the body of your message to MXT at dl.ac.uk to retrieve general server
usage instructions.  To subscribe to the GLYCOSCI list, first
be sure that you are sending mail from the address at which you wish
to receive news postings, and then send
the command

SUB bionet-news.bionet.glycosci

to MXT at dl.ac.uk.  This message will be automatically read by the
computer and your e-mail address will be extracted from the mail
header and added to the list.

IF YOU ARE LOCATED IN THE AMERICAS OR THE PACIFIC RIM: log in to the
computer account in which you would like to receive mail (not an
account that you use infrequently) and send a mail message to the
Internet address

biosci-server at net.bio.net

Leave the Subject: line of the message blank and enter the following
line into the body of the mail message:

subscribe glycosci

This message will be automatically read by our computer and your
e-mail address will be extracted from the mail header and added to the
list.

Canceling your subscription:
----------------------------

IF YOU ARE LOCATED IN EUROPE, AFRICA, OR CENTRAL ASIA: first be sure
that you are sending mail from the address at which you signed up to
receive news postings, and then send the command (in the body of your
mail message)

UNSUB bionet-news.bionet.glycosci

to MXT at dl.ac.uk.  This message will be automatically read by the
computer and your e-mail address will be extracted from the mail
header and removed from the list.

IF YOU ARE LOCATED IN THE AMERICAS OR THE PACIFIC RIM: send a message
to biosci-server at net.bio.net exactly as described above for
subscribing except include the text

unsubscribe glycosci

in the body of the message.  Please be sure to send the message from
the account whose address matches the one on the list.  If your
address differs, we will be notified automatically and will remove you
manually from the list if we can determine what was your old address.
Please contact biosci-help at net.bio.net if you have problems.

IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM:
----------------------

Please send a message to one of the following addresses depending upon
your location

Address                              Location
-------                              --------
biosci at daresbury.ac.uk               Europe, Africa, and Central Asia
biosci-help at net.bio.net              Americas and the Pacific Rim

and someone on the staff will help you.  PLEASE DO NOT send mail to
our personal e-mail addresses as this will delay a response to your
request for help.

How to post a message to the group:
-----------------------------------

If you use news, simply post a message into bionet.glycosci.  Be
sure to set your "distribution" to either bionet or world or else the
message might not leave your site!!

To post by e-mail, mail your message to one of the following addresses
depending upon your location:

Posting Address                      Location
you will bother everyone on the newsgroup!!!

How to reply to a message on the group:
send all replies back to everyone.  You must be certain that your
reply contains either of the two newsgroup posting addresses above in
your message header if you want to share it with everyone on the
group.  Otherwise in most cases your reply may go back to only the
original poster of the message to which you are replying.

ALWAYS be certain that you examine the address on your messages before
you send them!!!  Once a message is sent there is no way to cancel it
or bring it back!!!  Some non-Internet compliant mail systems may
attempt to send replies to our error-trapping address called
BIOSCI-REQUEST.  If yours does this, please be sure to readdress your
message to glycosci at net.bio.net or glycosci at daresbury.ac.uk if you want
to send it to the newsgroup.

How to look at archives of the list:
------------------------------------

Archives for GLYCOSCI/bionet.glycosci are kept in the
anonymous FTP account at net.bio.net [134.172.2.69].  Look in the
directory pub/BIOSCI/GLYCOSCI for posting archives.  Each file
is assigned a date such as 9312 for December 1993.  Please note that
ours is a UNIX system and all file and directory names are
case-sensitive, i.e., upper case file names are different from lower
case names.

You can also access these same files via Gopher if you start a gopher
session using net.bio.net as your gopher server.  Gopher also allows
you to view the individual messages within each monthly archive file.
The files are in the GLYCOSCI directory.  Postings to
bionet.glycosci are also WAIS indexed and can be searched via
either gopher or WAIS at our site.  In gopher the option at
net.bio.net is "Search Bionet USENET Articles" and in WAIS one should
use the WAIS source biosci.src.  This is a WAIS index of all
BIOSCI/bionet messages including this newsgroup.  Please see the
BIOSCI FAQ for details.  The FAQ can be requested from
biosci-help at net.bio.net.  Finally, you can also access the archives
via WWW/Mosaic.  The URL is gopher://net.bio.net/.

Once again, if you have any administrative questions that require
personal assistance, please address them to biosci-help at net.bio.net in
the U.S. or biosci at daresbury.ac.uk in the UK.

---end of FAQ---