Degradation pathway through high mannose glycosylation?

Iain Wilson WILSON at edv1.boku.ac.at
Fri Mar 31 03:25:58 EST 1995

> Date:          30 Mar 95 20:41:54 GMT
> From:          ching at tgevax.life.uiuc.edu (Ching Yuan)
> To:            "bionet.glycosci mail newsgroup" <bionet-news at dl.ac.uk>
> Subject:       Degradation pathway through high mannose glycosylation?

> Hi! Netter
> We recently sequenced some glycoprotein's N-oligosaccharide.
> (With exoglycosidases)
> To our surprise, this oligosaccharide has a high-mannose type abridged
> structure instead of hybrid, abridged type found in other species.

This may not be a surprise since there is species-specific and
cell-specific glycosylation for the same protein is well known.

> Since in other species(for the same protein), this kind of oligosaccharide
> mediates the sorting and degradation pathway of this protein, we've
> experienced some difficulties to explain this data.

What sort of degradation pathway are you refering to -
endocytosis/lysosomal? 'Mannose' receptors occur on macrophages (for
instance) and are involved in uptake to the lysosomes. Suggested
reading would be: Kurt Drickamer's article in the book 'Molecular
Glycobiology' ed. Fukuda and Hindsgaul (IRL Press, 1994).

> Can anyone tell me any oligosaccharide-mediated degradation pathway
> involving high-mannose structure beside hybrid or complex
> type(asialo-sialo......)?
> Also, can anyone give us the information about a biotech company
> called Oxford?

I presume you refer to Oxford GlycoSystems? The US telephone number
is given as 718-712-2693.

Iain Wilson                        Institut fuer Chemie
Tel: 43-1-47654-6065               Universitaet fuer Bodenkultur
Fax: 43-1-310-5176                 Gregor-Mendel-Strasse 33
E-mail: wilson at edv1.boku.ac.at     A-1180, WIEN, Austria

http://www-bprc.mps.ohio-state.edu/cgi-bin/hpp/iain_wilson.html