TOP TWELVE CHALLENGES FOR THE GLYCOSCIENCES - Spring '95 List

Barry Hardy bhardy at CONVEX.OX.AC.UK
Sun May 28 18:53:21 EST 1995

I had posed the following question to the list:

What is a Challenge for the Glycosciences?

Below is a list which I hope will provide food for thought or
discussion.  I'm sure we can come up with another list in the Fall!

Barry Hardy

 TOP TWELVE CHALLENGES FOR THE GLYCOSCIENCES - Spring '95 List

1. The generation of libraries of oligosaccharides and oligosaccahride
mimics.

David Winkler, D.Winkler at chem.csiro.au,
CSIRO Division of Chemicals and Polymers, Australia

2. Identifying proteoglycan receptors that, when occupied, activate
cell signaling pathways.

Diane M. Snow, dsnow at maroon.tc.umn.edu, University of Minnesota, USA

3. Establish functional role of specific carbohydrate epitopes by tissue
specific glycosyltransferase knock-outs in mice.

Eric Berger, egberger at physiol.unizh.ch, Switzerland

4. Determine the function of the developmentally-regulated carbohydrate
structures in the brain.

Karen Allendoerfer, ravena at cco.caltech.edu, Caltech, USA

5. Study glycosylation structures while they are attached to
glycoproteins.

Martin Slade, MSLADE at rna.bio.mq.edu.au, Macquarie University, Australia

6. To determine the site specific glycosylation pattern of a mucin, i.e.,
 which sugar chains are at which glycosylation site

Mike Davies, mdavies at bsm.biochemistry.ucl.ac.uk,
University College London, UK

7. How do you deglycosylate an insoluble protein?  And if glycosylation
is supposed to improve a protein's solubility what chance of
dissolving this protein do I have if its sole partial solvent is 88%
formic acid?

Michael J. Naldrett, mnaldret at Natick-EMH2.Army.Mil

8. Understanding how the glycosylation pathway is controlled: why is it that
different cell types perform different glycosylation?

Nigel Jenkins, N.Jenkins at ukc.ac.uk, UK

9. To elucidate motifs (rules!) in the protein structure that determines
occupancy and type of oligosaccaride attached (template direction!)

Roy Jefferis, R.Jefferis at bham.ac.uk, University of Birmingham, UK

10. How does one produce one milligram (or more) of cellulose in
vitro using a cell free system?

R. A. Savidge, savidge at unb.ca, University of New Brunswick, Canada

11. Isolation and characterization of total cell surface complex carbohydrates
to understand the structure and function of carbohydrates.

T. Shantha Raju,  raju at aecom.yu.edu

12. Exploit the large body of evidence implicating oligosaccharides as
recognition signals, in the design of novel chemotherapeutics.

Steve Homans, swh at st-andrews.ac.uk, St. Andrews, UK