GM1 antibody

jmahoney at molbiol.ox.ac.uk jmahoney at molbiol.ox.ac.uk
Tue Nov 28 03:52:20 EST 1995

> From:	MX%"sheets at NUN.OIT.UNC.EDU"    27-NOV-1995 16:57
> To:	MX%"bionet-news at dl.ac.uk"
> CC:
> Subj:	gm1 antibody
>

> Does anyone know if there exists an antibody that is against the
> glycosphingolipid GM1?  I would like to use something other than cholera
> toxin B for some experiments.
>
> Thanks,
> Erin
>
> _____________________________
> Erin Sheets
> Dept of Cell Biolgy
> University of North Carolina
> sheets at unc.edu

	For years, the field of anti-ganglioside antibodies moved very
slowly.  Then in 1992, Tadashi Tai of the Tokyo Metropolitan Institute of
Medical Sciences reported the  development of a panel of monoclonal
antibodies against several major gangliosides, and he has since reported
development of antibodies against many other minor ones.

	He has a very nice anti-GM1 antibody called GMB16.  See the
following papers:

BBA 1117, p. 97 1992 (creation)

PNAS 68, p. 109 1992 and
Glycobiology 3, p. 137 1993 (Use for immunohistochemistry)

				Jim Mahoney
				Sir William Dunn School of Pathology
				Univ. of Oxford