Artefacts with PAS-staining?

Stefan.Rosen at mbioekol.lu.se Stefan.Rosen at mbioekol.lu.se
Thu Oct 19 11:11:05 EST 1995

Dear Scientists,

Can PAS staining of proteins in  SDS-PAGE gels give false positives
(indicating that a protein are glycosylated even if it´s not)?
I have a protein (from cytoplasm) that is stained (positive) using
PAS-staining but analyzing the same sample with electrospray-MS, MALDI
(the only posttranslatory modification found on the protein is a
acetylated N-terminus) and sugar analysis using GC-MS indicate that the
protein is not glycosylated. Anyone that can explain for me why a
nonglycosylated protein could stain positive with PAS?

Stefan Rosén
Department of Microbial Ecology
University of Lund
Ecology Building