measuring glucose and trehalose

Yevdokimov Artiom nf9501 at sgdna1.weizmann.ac.il
Thu Oct 26 11:21:36 EST 1995

Dr Koen De Smet (kds30) wrote:
: I would like to measure trehalose in samples with an expected
: concentration of 10-50 ug/ml (25-125 uM). One way is by using
: hot anthrone, but that only goes down to 100 ug/ml.
: Alterantively,I could do this by converting trehalose into
: glucose using trehalase. But again,commercial kits for glucose
: determination or published papers don't seem to reach this
: kind of sensitivity. I would like to avoid having to
: concentrate my samples by freeze drying.

: Does anybody have any suggestions?

Your mailing address does not work. Hence here it goes.
You may try an old PhOH-H2SO4 spectrophotometry method.
It, in combination with TLC or paper chromatography as
far as I know gives up to 5ug/ml resolution. If you want,
i can dig out the reference. The method is quite nasty,
though. But as it says, it "..is even sensitive to cellulose
traces from filterpaper..." so i gues it's what you need.

A.G.E.