Sulfation of glycoprotein

kzhao at BIOVX1.BIOLOGY.UCLA.EDU kzhao at BIOVX1.BIOLOGY.UCLA.EDU
Mon Jan 29 00:55:22 EST 1996

Dear Dr. Spagnol:

I recently finished a project for the analysis of glycoforms on a recombinant
lysosomal enzyme, alph-L-iduronidase, using lectin binding, HPLC, and MALDI-
TOFMS (mass spectrometry) prior to and after endo-glycosidase digestion.  With
this protocol, I was able to detect phosphate on high mannose (Man-6-P).  The
phosphate was confirmed by alkaline phosphatase cleavage.  I believe SO4, which
happens to have identical mass as PO4 (~80 Da), could also be identified this
way (as well as any other methods available).

* Ke-Wei Zhao, Ph.D.                     Phone: (310)825-8722                  *
* Department of Biological Chemistry     Fax: (310)206-5272                    *
* UCLA School of Medicine, CHS 33-257    e-mail: kzhao at biovx1.biology.ucla.edu *
* Los Angeles, CA 90095-1737                                                   *