Microplate assay for carbohydrates

cotegl at ncaur1.ncaur.gov cotegl at ncaur1.ncaur.gov
Tue Nov 12 11:14:14 EST 1996

In article <961105151311.ZM77841 at ether70mac-102.gene.com>, sraju at gene.COM
says...

>Raymond McGuirk wrote as:
>
>Dear Glycoscientists,
>
>I am looking for a simple, sensitive and reproducable microplate
>assay for free or bound hexoses and/or sialic acids. I am trying to
>quantify the amount of carbohydrate being removed from a glycoprotein
>with endo- and exo- glycosidase enzymes over time. References would
>be much appreciated.
>
>Thanking you in advance,
>Raymond McGuirk
>Department of Biochemistry,
>University College Dublin,
>Belfield,
>Dublin 4, Ireland.
>E-Mail:- McGuirk at ollamh.ucd.ie
You might also want to check out the methods described by J.D. Fox and
J.F. Robyt "Miniaturization of three carbohydrate analyses using a
microplate reader", which appeared in Analytical Biochemistry 195(1991)
93-96.  I don't know if it will suit your needs, but the three assays are
reducing sugars (via the copper-bicinchoninate method), total
carbohydrate (phenol-sulfuric acid) and glucose (via glucose oxidase).
Application to measuring saccharide hydrolysis is also illustratred.

G. Cote
USDA/ARS