Textbook: Carbohydrate Chemistry

Allen Bush bush at CHEM.UMBC.EDU
Tue Nov 19 16:50:11 EST 1996

On Tue, 19 Nov 1996, Achim Recktenwald, PhD wrote:

> I am looking for a good textbook in carbohydrate chemistry.
> My special interest are glycosaminoglycans.
>
> Can anybody give me a good tip?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Achim

This is a tough problem for those of us who teach biochemistry
of complex carbohydrates.  The classic 1974 text of Sharon has long
been out of print and is now out of date.  There is a slim 1983
volume by R.C. Hughes on "Glycoproteins" with limited coverage in 95 pp.
A more hefty tome from 1988 by J.F. Kennedy is entitled "Carbohydrate
Chemistry".  It is authoritative but would be considered quite
incomplete in biochemistry by most glycoscientists.  I have also used
a collection entitled "Glycoconjugates" edited by Allen and Kisailus
(1992) but that is distinctly not a textbook.
   Does anyone else have any favorite volumes ? This is a good topic for
the glycoscience net.
C. Allen Bush, Dept. of Chemistry, Univ. Maryland Baltimore County,
Baltimore, MD 21228.  e-mail: bush at umbc.edu or bush at umbc
 website: http://www.research.umbc.edu/~bush/
phone: (410) 455-2506       fax: (410) 455-2608