Sugars increase binding

chilcott at biodisc.co.nz chilcott at biodisc.co.nz
Tue Oct 8 03:34:03 EST 1996

I am looking at the binding of a bacterial protein (not glycosylated) to
various insect brush border membrane vesicles.  The following sugars will in
some cases increase the binding of the protein: glucose, galactose,
fructose, fucose, mannose, glucuronic acid, N-acetylglucosamine,
N-acetylgalactosamine, N-acetylneuraminic acid, N-acetylmuramic acid and
N-acetyllactosamine.  The binding is acrried out at pH 8.  Could anyone
suggest a possible mechanism for this observation or point me to some
literature that maybe helpful.  Could you please e-mail me. Thanks in advance.

Chris Chilcott
BioDiscovery NZ
chilcott at biodisc.co.nz