Prof. Akira Hasegawa

RONALD L SCHNAAR rschnaar at WELCHLINK.WELCH.JHU.EDU
Tue Oct 15 07:48:10 EST 1996

Dear Colleagues,

I am sorry to convey sad news I received this morning.  Professor Akira
Hasegawa died in Gifu, Japan on October 10, 1996.  He led the most
exceptional group of glycosphingolipid synthetic chemists in the world,
and the compounds he generously shared have been used by his colleagues
around the globe to advance the field of glycobiology.

I was fortunate to have benefited from Dr. Hasegawa's expertise and
generosity.  Having recently visted Gifu, I was contacted by his widow
with the sad news.  Anyone who wishes to write her, please e-mail my
personal box (rschnaar at welchlink.welch.jhu.edu) and I will send you her
address.

Regretfully,

	Ron Schnaar