Searching glycobio databases

Albert van Kuik kuik at boc.chem.ruu.nl
Thu Sep 19 04:17:36 EST 1996

> > I'm looking for databases concerning various subjects in the field of
> > glycobiology, i.e., oligosaccharide sequences, lectins specificity and
> > properties, cristallo datas etc... Is there any specific database for
> > saccharides, glycoconjugates or CBP as EMBL or GenBank for proteic
> > and/or nucleic data ?
> > Thank you for informations
>
> There's nothing so comprehensive yet! The Carbbank database with its
> rather antiquated (last time I saw it) DOS interface is quite
> complicated to use but does contain information on oligosaccharide
> sequences and the references for them. You can get CDs or download a
> very large file (70 megabytes or so) from
> ftp://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/repository/carbbank/

CarbBank 3.0 was removed from /repository/carbbank. It seems that
the new Windows95 version, CarbBank 3.1, is not available yet.
However, the CarbBank 3.0 database (CCSD14) can be consulted with
a Web browser at URL http://www.boc.chem.ruu.nl/sugabase/databases.html
Also SUGABASE, a carbohydrate-NMR database that combines CarbBank
data with proton and carbon chemical shift values, can be accessed
at this site.

Albert

--
Albert van Kuik, Department of Bio-Organic Chemistry
Bijvoet Center for Biomolecular Research, Utrecht University