known ConA binding proteins

Craig Webster cwebster at
Tue Sep 24 07:41:37 EST 1996

In article <jdb-230996164547 at>, John Bishop
<jdb at> writes
>Does anyone know where I can find a list of proteins to which concanavalin
>A is known to bind?  I've looked around and called some ConA suppliers and
>horseradish peroxidase is the only protein anyone will confirm as being
>recognized by ConA.  For example, what else in a whole cell extract would
>be expected to bind to a ConA column?

I use con A to bind glycoforms of alpha-1-acid glycoprotein (orosomucoid) in
my work. As far as I know con A will bind to any protein that has bi-
antennary glycans attached as this is the glycan motif that con A recognises.

I hope this is of some help
Craig Webster                   |Tel: 01245 514013
Senior Clinical Biochemist      |Fax: 01245 514077
Broomfield Hospital             |email: cwebster at
Chelmsford, Essex, UK           |

Turnpike evaluation. For information, see