Protein glycosylation question

Olivier Nosjean nosjean at univ-lyon1.fr
Thu Sep 26 10:37:01 EST 1996

In article (Dans l'article) <jsg-2609961130290001 at 131.111.39.111>,
jsg at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk (J. S. Good) wrote (écrivait) :

> Dear Reader
>
> I wish to express a bacterial gene in mammalian cells. The protein is
> palmitoylated in bacteria by a separate gene product, which I will clone
> on the same plasmid as the first gene. What I need to know is, where in
> the eukaryotic cell does palmitoylation take place? If it is confined to
> the endoplasmic reticulum I will have to try and target delivery of the
> proteins to this compartment, but if palmitoylation also takes place in
> the cytosol my task will be a lot easier. Any other useful information
> will be gratefully received!
>
> Thanks in advance for your advice
> James Good
>
> email jsg at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk

As far as I know, palmitoyl moiety is pretty much like a fatty acid chain ;-)

But some glycomaniacs around here might have a clue about the cell
localization of palmitoylation...

...Oli

_  _  _
 \/ \/
  {O}               Olivier Nosjean
  |_|     Laboratoire de Physico-Chime Biologique