Protein glycosylation question

Olivier Nosjean nosjean at
Thu Sep 26 10:37:01 EST 1996

In article (Dans l'article) <jsg-2609961130290001 at>,
jsg at (J. S. Good) wrote (écrivait) :

> Dear Reader
> I wish to express a bacterial gene in mammalian cells. The protein is
> palmitoylated in bacteria by a separate gene product, which I will clone
> on the same plasmid as the first gene. What I need to know is, where in
> the eukaryotic cell does palmitoylation take place? If it is confined to
> the endoplasmic reticulum I will have to try and target delivery of the
> proteins to this compartment, but if palmitoylation also takes place in
> the cytosol my task will be a lot easier. Any other useful information
> will be gratefully received!
> Thanks in advance for your advice
> James Good
> email jsg at

As far as I know, palmitoyl moiety is pretty much like a fatty acid chain ;-)

But some glycomaniacs around here might have a clue about the cell
localization of palmitoylation...

_  _  _
 \/ \/
  {O}               Olivier Nosjean
  |_|     Laboratoire de Physico-Chime Biologique