Inhibition of glycosylation

Ian McFarlane I.McFarlane at icrf.icnet.uk
Mon Jul 14 05:58:09 EST 1997

In article <01bc8b85$12fe53e0$0b6726c0 at xray.ki.ku.dk>, "Jens-Christan Juhl
Poulsen" <jcp at xray.ki.ku.dk> wrote:

> To the glycobiology group
>
> I´m looking for inhibitors, that prevents the glycosylation of protein in
> fungal expressionsystems. I have found the inhibitor "Tunicamycin", that
> inhibits the first step in the formation of dolichol pyrophosphat
> oligosaccharide. But is there a known inhibitor that prevents the O-linked
> glycosylation?
>
> Thank you

Benzyl-O-GalNAc is a competitive inhibitor of 0-glycan chain extension,
however if i remember correctly in fungal (yeast is the one i'm talking
about) systems O-glycosylation is poly mannosylation. This is not my field
but I assume that there are mutants which lack the machinery for
O-glycosylation. Try the work of Widmar Tanner and Martina Gentzsch from
Univ. Regensburg, Germany.

Ian Mc