N-linked in Plasmodium

MSLADE at RNA.BIO.MQ.EDU.AU MSLADE at RNA.BIO.MQ.EDU.AU
Tue Mar 11 20:10:09 EST 1997

In a brief review on glycobiology of Plasmodium falciparum (Hoessli et al 1996,
Glycoconjugate Journal 13, 1-3) I have just found the statement that this organism
does not produce N-linked glycosylation.

I had thought that N-linked glycosylation was a fundamental property of all
eukaryotes.  Do people think this is correct and Plasmodium is just cutting off the
N-linked structures ?  Are there any other eukaryotes known not to produce N-linked
glycosylation?  How about primitive protozoa like Giardia?

I am intrigued by the possibility that some cells can dispense with N-linked
glycosylation.

Yours, Martin Slade
Martin Slade,
School of Biological Sciences,