fucose causing trouble...

Robert Trimble trimble at wadsworth.org
Fri Mar 14 13:35:29 EST 1997

In article <5g3d4u$eb9 at mserv1.dl.ac.uk>, "K.Koles (Kate Koles)"
<K.Koles at open.ac.uk> wrote:

> Dear glyconetters,
>
> I was using 3H-fucose for metabolic labeling  of glycoproteins in chickens.
> Cause I'm looking at the synaptic membrane glycoproteins, esp. the fucosylated
> ones,...... (snip)

Many years back we labeled normal and CF fibroblasts with 2-3H-Man and
6-3H-Fuc (Bozon et al. (1986) Arch. Biochem. 249:646-656) to look at
glycoprotein oligosaccharide profiles and got good incorporation. However,
as noted in another response to your query, our time-frame was 18-21 h of
labeling. I suspect that your chicken cells are dividing once a day, so a
short pulse with sugars, unless they are at an incredibly high sp. act.,
might not be expected to yield much fixed label compared to leucine. Rob.