Tone it down!

jlnavia at ix.netcom.com jlnavia at ix.netcom.com
Sun Mar 30 21:03:47 EST 1997

Michael Almeida wrote:

> Juan,
>
>         thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate the time and effort you took to
> write your reaction.  Although it might not be a "thumbs up" kinda review I
> still value your opinion and those like yourselves.  If you have any
> specific recommendations shoot them by me and I'll review the designs.....
> Remember the site is really new and I work and go two school full time so
> what little time I have left I dedicate to the site!!  What exactly about
> the journals didn't you like? I killed the message already and couldn't
> remember....
>
>                                                         sincerely
>
> Michael Almeida
> *************************
> biochemist at biochemist.com
> http://www.biochemist.com
> *************************

I considered my message (v.i.) to be 90% thumbs-up, 10% down (animated
graphics?) and a question:  What can be done to make internet scientific
publications more permanent?  I'm sure you have tried to visit some web
site of interest only to receive an error message that this address no
longer exists!  In order for an electronic publication to be useful to
the larger community, it must reside at a stable location where it
remains accessible for the next 20 or more years.  I suppose a valid
alternative may be to guarantee accessibility for some finite,
predetermined period; the assumption being that the field in question
advances so quickly that publications much older than this date would be
considered irrelevant.  Of course, one would loose a valuable historical
perspective.

My original note follows:
"I'm impressed with version of internet publications and job search, but
the animated graphics are a bit much.  They take some time to load and
don't really add anything of substance to the site.  Admittedly, my
views may be overly conservative in this regard, but my first reaction
was to question the seriousness of your effort.  A critisism I've heard
leveled at on-line journals is the impermanent nature such a medium.
Any comments?"

Best regards,

Juan L. Navia, Ph.D.