Acidic Carbohydrates

Zhao, Kewei KEWEI at BIOCHEM.MEDSCH.UCLA.EDU
Tue Jun 9 11:21:02 EST 1998

MALDI-MS preferentially detects those molecules with positive charges, for
example, a peptide with more positive charges produces more intense signal
than the one with no such charges.  Carbohydrate in general produce
relatively weak signals comparing with peptides, and negative (acidic)
carbohydrates will be worse for detection by MALDI-MS.  I am sure you have
tried negative ion mode for detection.  Another way to enhance your signal is
to couple your carbohydrate with some organic compounds that fly better (but
I don't know actual examples).  Someone out there may give a better advice.

Ke-Wei Zhao
*Ke-Wei Zhao, Ph.D.                    Phone: (310)825-8722                  *
*Department of Biological Chemistry    Fax: (310)206-5272                    *
*UCLA School of Medicine, CHS 33-257   e-mail: kewei at biochem.medsch.ucla.edu *
*Los Angeles, CA 90095-1737                                                  *

Can anybody give me a good hint to investigate acidic carbohydrates by
MALDI-MS???

I tried a lot of different matrices and it seems to be a problem in this
area...but without success..

So please try to help me with some informations.   Thanks

C.