Announcement and Update: Lectin DataBase

Christian Frosch frosc000 at marie.zdv.Uni-Mainz.DE
Mon Mar 23 15:18:58 EST 1998

Dear Lectinologists,

please excuse the long delay in sending out a followup
message to our announcement of the Lectin DataBase (LDB)
project.
Meanwhile we have set up a web page and two mailing lists.

ldb at gnacademy.org
ldb-announce at gnacademy.org

The main web page for the project is
http://www-de.gnacademy.org/ldb/welcome.html

We are now actively gathering entries for the LDB
which should be sent in the following format.
!!!
 lectin name:
abbreviations:
PDB entry code:
sequence (code?):
source organism:   and tissue:
specificity:
inhibitory mono-and oligo-saccharides:
requirements for binding,
       e.g. buffer composition:
             and pH:
              metal ions:
               etc.:,
non-sugar inhibitors:
commercial suppliers:
references for properties:
                      purification:
                     specificity:
                      etc.:
!!!

You can find a summary of the project below (##).

Sincerely,

Christian Frosch

+++
Christian Frosch
The Glycoscience Network
Assistant Co-ordinator
E-mail: frosc000 at mail.uni-mainz.de

##

The Lectins Database Project (LDB)
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Coordinators: Lisa Wright, Ofer Markman, David Ashford

The Lectins Database (LDB) is a database of information concerning
lectins. It is planned to be freely available over the Internet, as an
information resource for both dedicated lectinologists and casual
lectin-users. It will be complementary to, and interlinked with, the new
3D lectin database.

The LDB has the support of the Virtual Institute of Wet Biology (VIWB)
<http://emile-21.com/viwb/welcome.htm> and the Glycoscience Network (TGN;
see above). The former is dedicated to helping real experimental biology
projects through bioinformatics and Internet technology.

The first stage of the LDB will be to form a database on lectin data,
including:-
  lectin name and abbreviations
  PDB entry code and sequence
  source organism and tissue
  specificity
  inhibitory mono- and oligosaccharides
  requirements for binding e.g. buffer composition and pH
  commercial suppliers